[X-Newbies] Re: Your message to X-Newbies awaits moderator approval

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Nov 21 11:25:53 PST 2006

> From: "Brian Durant" <globetrotterdk at gmail.com>
> Debate about whether or not html is good netiquette has been raging on
> the Internet since html styling was first introduced around 1992.

Yes. And debate about creationism versus evolution has been raging on
for a century more than that.

That's beside the point. Just because the people who are plainly
wrong (creationists/HTML advocates) will not shut up, doesn't mean
they will eventually become right.

This is a settled issue. HTML in messages may cause them to be
rejected. Overquoting can cause posts to be delayed or rejected.
Attachments may cause posts to be rejected or delayed. Spam (which
HEAVILY uses HTML) will be rejected.

There is no debate. There are just people who won't take the hint.

> but the real issue is still the arbitrary size limitations on
> postings.

No it's not. Size limitations serve as a "crap trap" that catches a
LOT of overquoting, spam, unwanted HTML, attachments and other nonsense.

The fact that it will VERY OCCASIONALLY generate a "false positive"
is why we have a human, aka the moderator, to check the trap and move
the ones that shouldn't have gotten caught onto the list.

You have so far wasted quite a bit of your own time, not to mention
everyone else's, to complain about a delay of LESS THAN AN HOUR that
a) isn't really an issue and b) should be taken off-list with the
moderator. I believe there is an internet expression that covers this
-- WATB.

> I am fully aware that html adds size to a posting, but then
> why not only allow users to post in plain text and include an
> explanation of how to do it for new subscribers?

This list DOES do that, in the form of rejecting or delaying posts
(whereas properly-formatted posts tend to go right through). As for
an explanation, we periodically remind people about it, happily
answer questions about it (kind of the point of the list!), and point
people to netiquette posts when they don't "get it." (ahem)

I suppose we could attach a treatise on this at the bottom of each
message, but somehow I think the creationists would fail to read it
anyway.

If you're actually experiencing anxiety over this, I suggest striving
to make your posts CONCISE and PLAIN TEXT, which so far has proven a
trouble-free, tried-and-true way of enjoying the list. If you need
help achieving these goals, please ask and we'll be happy to help.

Cheers
Chas