[X-Newbies] Re: HTML mail

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Nov 25 20:03:24 PST 2006

> From: J <themacintoshlady at earthlink.net>
>
> Your analogy is a bit exaggerated wouldn't you say? You can hardly
> compare the seriousness of the two issues to each other!

Since I'm not comparing the degree of seriousness between the two
(which would involve me claiming that HTML mail and the acceptance of
evolution are equally important, something I've not done), this point
is irrelevant. People use larger issues to illustrate smaller points
all the time. Brian was attempting to suggest that because the "HTML
mail debate" has been around for decades means that the case must
have some merit. I used the "creationism/evolution" analogy to prove
that no, a long debate does not mean that both sides are equally
meritorious.

> And there are many who would disagree with you about either being
> 'wrong', especially re the creationist view, since last I checked we
> have religious tolerance in this country.

Evolution being correct has nothing to do with religious intolerance.
There's only one religion of the many, many, many out there that
attempt to stuff the "creationist" nonsense down our throats. And
even most sects of that religion don't buy into the argument --
because of the overwhelming evidence that it's nonsense. Visit
Wikipedia and search the term "Flying Spaghetti Monster" for a theory
of the universe that has exactly the same amount of "evidence" as
creationism.

To claim that dismissing creationism as the proofless blather it is
constitutes "religious intolerance" is itself to be "intolerant" of
facts, evidence, science and even other religions that don't happen
to agree with that theory. Evolution wasn't discovered and documented
as a tool to defeat religion, nor is its intention to undermine a
belief in a Creator (any more than an understanding of gravity,
magnetism or chemistry does). Evolution is simply a summary of the
facts as we know and learn them, a tiny part of a much larger process.

You can believe whatever you want to believe, based on (or despite)
the facts (as certain of our leaders have made clear).

It's when one tries to legislate ignorance, however, that people who
actually know what they're talking about tend to rise up and smack
such efforts upside the head. IOW, it's perfectly okay for one to
believe personally that the world is flat; it is NOT okay to try and
mandate that schools teach this as an "alternate theory."

Having now offended the Flat Earth Society and opened several
Pandora's Boxes, I rest my case -- I (and you) are allowing this
thread to wander off-topic, thus I will henceforth only add to this
thread if it's on-topic.

> So as not to offend
> or foul the different email programs and computer systems, we must
> keep the mail format at its lowest common denominator, where it will
> do the least damage, and this happens to be text.
>
> Bottom line is, if the list owner says no HTML, thus it shall be.

Now there's a commandment I can get behind! Amen!

:)

Chas