[X-Newbies] Can't boot from CD

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Oct 25 08:54:56 PDT 2006

On Oct 25, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Kevin Riley wrote:

> I am having a problem with my macbook in that I cannot seem to boot
> from CD anymore…I insert the CD, hold down C and OSX boots up. If I
> hold down the alt key to get the boot selection screen with a CD in
> the drive I just get the OSX and Windows partitions to boot from.
> If I have a CD in and select the startup disk utility, again, I
> just get the two partitions OSX and Windows…

It appears your CD is not being recognized as being able to boot your
computer. A couple possibilities:

The CD is damaged. Does it show up in the Finder when inserted?

The OS on the CD is too old to boot your computer. Don't Macbooks
come with a boot DVD? I don't know that any of the OS's that came on
CD are current enough to run a Macbook. Are you using a disk that
came with the Macbook?

-Mike