[X-Newbies] Appleworks not responding

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Sun Sep 3 11:41:39 PDT 2006

I checked two copies of AppleWorks which I happen to have.

The AppleWorks 6.2.2 folder measures 56 MB; the application inside it (which
is really another folder) measures  23.7 MB.

The AppleWorks 6.2.9 folder measures 60.4 MB; the application inside it
(which is really another folder) measures  23.6 MB.

By placing the mouse cursor over the icons in your Dock and holding the
mouse button down, you will get a pop-up menu, one of whose options is to
show the application in question in the Finder, where you can examine it.

If you have anything substantially less than these numbers, I would guess
you have a crippled copy. This happens.  Clever people tell each other
"AppleWorks is way too big because it contains all these resources you
never, ever use. Here's how you can Save Lots of Disk Space by throwing out
the non-essentials."  It was a popular sport about the time the PPC chips
came out, and enjoyed a renaissance during the OS X switchover as well.

Certain applications require certain fonts. IF these fonts have been removed
from the system or replaced with different versions with the same name, you
can also have weird troubles.

HTH,
Robert