[X-Newbies] Carbon Copy Cloner

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Mon Sep 4 10:06:33 PDT 2006

Yes, with a big gotcha...

The second drive must have booting supported.

For instance, if both drives are internal to your Mac, no problem.

But if the second one is an external USB drive, you can clone it
successfully, but be unable to boot because pre-Macintel Macs simply won't
boot off any USB drive, no matter what is on them.

You could, however, remove a cloned drive from its USB enclosure and install
it inside your Mac, and boot off of it. I have done this.

Finally, investigate SuperDuper! as an alternative to CCC;
It offers everything CCC does and more, especially for incremental backups.