[X-Newbies] Boot Camp Backup?

Robert (Bob) P. Andris bob at andrisfamily.net
Sun Sep 10 15:34:16 PDT 2006

In line with the current discussion of CCC and other backup/clone
software; has anyone found a way to get a bootable backup of the
"Boot Camp" partition?

I'm currently using an "intel inside" iMac using Sys 10.4.7, and have
it partitioned into two halves, one for OS 10 and one for Win XP.  My
backup is an identical sized LaCie, external FireWire drive.

The closest I've come to success is to use CopyCat X 3.5.  I does a
sector copy of the entire drive - not just a partition.  When you
reboot, while holding the "option" key down, all four volumes show up
as "bootable"; the internal "Macintosh HD", the internal "Windows HD,
the external "Macintosh HD", and the external "Windows HD.  However,
if you select either of the two external volumes to boot, the "boot"
process takes a little longer than normal and then it selects the
INTERNAL volume, after all.  Anyone had real success?

Bob