[X-Newbies] upgrading an ibook g3

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Fri Apr 6 16:17:11 PDT 2007

On Apr 6, 2007, at 1:46 PM, Thierry de Coulon wrote:

> On Friday 30 March 2007 16:10, arturo oropeza wrote:
>> Hi, I have never do this , to be honest is the first time I have a
>> mac.
>> Does anyone knows where I can find a tutorial to do an upgrade of my
>> ibook
>> g3 version 10.39 to 10.45 or something near to that version.
>> I have never do this , to be honest is the first time I have a mac.
>> Thanks
>
> OK, first you have to get a version of 10.4 (which one is not
> relevant). there
> is no free upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4.
>
> Then it depends on the material you have at hand. I would clone the
> iBook to
> an external (firewire) hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, then
> install a
> clean 10.4 using the feature that imports your settings from the old
> installation.
>
> I don't know if 10.4 makes it possible to simply "upgrade" 10.3, I
> doubt it.

On possible complication is that OS 10.4 usually comes on DVD.  Some
iBook G3s do not support DVDs.  Also depending on the iBook G3 model,
you may need to use a third party utility to assist in the
installation.  That would be XpostFacto.  Check it out at:
http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/
If you pass these hoops, of the several upgrade paths on the installer
disk, it is best to use "Archive and Install."

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.