[X-Newbies] Re: LittleSnitch and port 80.

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Feb 21 11:57:20 PST 2007

> From: "Brian Durant" <globetrotterdk at gmail.com>
>
> I have just purchased LittleSnitch in an attempt to improve the
> security on my G5 running Tiger 10.4.8. I have noticed that It tries
> to block apps that want to access the Internet by way of something
> called "port 80". Some of the apps that have been caught doing this
> are Firefox, WeatherDock and Google Notifier, but on the other hand,
> LS is configured to allow apps like the QuickTime player to be able to
> access "port 80". Why the difference between apps and why is it
> important to block "port 80"?

I don't mean to sound condescending, but you really need to better
understand what Little Snitch does in order to use it effectively. It
comes with a help file: read it.

A *lot* of programs have a need to communicate outside your machine.
Sometimes it is a simple check for updates (which is what Firefox is
doing); sometimes it is the inherent nature of the program (how do
you expect WeatherDock to update its weather, or Google Notifier to
notify you of new messages if you block this function??).

You ask "why is it important to block port 80?" Answer: it isn't. The
old axiom applies: just because you CAN do a thing doesn't mean it's
a good idea.

I find that most people who want to use Little Snitch have two
purposes for it:

1. (my use) Find out if there are any apps on your system that are
sending out info when you don't want them too (checking for
keyloggers, for example, or just finding out which apps "phone home"
for updates or other purposes).

2. Hiding pirated apps.

My suggestion to you is to watch what Little Snitch alerts you to and
understand what it's asking, then give or deny permission
accordingly. If an app like WeatherDock wants to send info out, I
think it's something of a no-brainer that there is no sinister intent
-- it needs to update its weather info, so you should give it
permission to do so "forever." The only time you really need to deny
permission is either intent #2 above, or you've just downloaded an
app you're not sure about.

Chas