[X-Newbies] Re: Printer Recommendation

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Feb 23 07:34:53 PST 2007

>From: "Dana J. Laude" <kc9aae at bresnan.net>
>
>I recently bought a 20" iMac.  I'm looking for a all-in-one printer
>recommendation. I'm kinda leaning towards the HP 5180, or the 6310.
>Fax isn't necessary, but network capability is.
>
>Appreciate any input!

With regret, I'd have to advise you AWAY from HP printers/AIOs at the moment.

This is not due to the quality of their printers, which are fine -- it's due entirely to the buginess of their OS X driver software, which is intrusive and unstable as well as a poorly-written port from their PC software.

If they ever really "get with the program" and write Mac-standards-compliant printer software, I'll rescind my view, but for now I would steer you towards the other brands that DO work well within OS X Tiger -- Brother, Canon, Epson.

Cheers
Chas