[X-Newbies] Re: Printer Recommendation

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 07:55:05 PST 2007

I am using my first Canon printer (unless my old Apple LaserJet was a
Canon in disguise). The iP5200R is a last years model, but is an
excellent printer and it functions great as a network printer
(ethernet or WiFi). Canon however, is really sticking it to the Mac
user, when it comes to interoperability and installation. My
experience with a normal installation is that Canon doesn't seem to be
able to leverage OS X properly. The install reminded me of a MS Office
install - where files get thrown all over the place and some apps
(utilities) are installed in the "Library" folder (!!!). Configuring
the printer for my LAN required going directly into OS X and setting
up a network printer (which also went smoothly), unlike the install on
2 PC's on my LAN where the install went smoothly in XP. To this day,
some of the Canon utilities can't "discover" the printer, despite OS X
finding it just fine. This makes it sometimes hard to diagnose cryptic
messages that the printer throws out sometimes - with messages like I
have to choose between the black cartridge(s) that I want to use or
that I have no paper in the tray when it is obvious that I have paper
(and it is placed properly. I really miss the Epson printer management
software on my old C82!!!

Good luck,

Brian