[X-Newbies] New external hard drive

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Jan 3 17:47:16 PST 2007

Robert Green said:

>Thanks John. I looked at the article and it appears that I could boot
>from it but the article doesn't give some details. The article says
>that a USB drive can be used to start my G4  from and can hold a
>system folder to do this but it doesn't give details on how to
>install the folder and then start from it. I want to start form my
>Western Digital 250 gb usb drive in order to defragement the main
>drive using idefrag. Any suggestions?

If you want your external USB drive to be a startup drive for your G4,
and assuming that your G4 is one of the models that will boot from a USB
drive and which can boot into OS 9, and that you have a USB drive that
has the specs to do it, you will have to install OS 9 on the drive, and
the boot driver for OS 9.

Installing OS 9 is easy.  You install it as you would for any Mac or
other drive.

Installing the OS 9 boot driver requires that you reformat (and
completely erase) the drive with Disk Utility.

.

Randy B. Singer

Co-Author of:
The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)

OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html