[X-Newbies] Another PDF file question.

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Jan 5 12:11:19 PST 2007

Brian Durant said:

>I have managed to recover some of my resume files after my hard disk
>debacle from another source. Unfortunately, they are in .pdf format
>and I need to be able to convert them into .doc files to preserve as
>much of the formating as possible. Are there any simple OS X apps that
>can do this well?

It depends on what you mean by "well".  PDF's were never designed to be
converted into word processing documents, even if they originated from
one.  So even the best program for doing the conversion won't be perfect.

See:

TextLightning
http://www.metaobject.com/Products.html

PDF2RTFService 1.0 (free)
http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/services.html

PDFtotext (free, most formatting not retained)
http://www.bluem.net/downloads/pdftotext_en

OmniPage Pro and the full version of Acrobat will also do it, but I
assume that you aren't looking for a solution that is that expensive.

Randy B. Singer

Co-Author of:
The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)

OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html