[X-Newbies] Re: Home network security

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 00:58:58 PST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 7:00 PM, Mark Taintor wrote:

> A year or so ago, I installed a wireless router in my own home. I
> don't recall doing anything to secure it. Is there a way to tell if
> I am secure? What about my home computer which is a G4/533/no
> Airport, but it is plugged into the back of the wireless router? Is
> that an open book to the outside world? What can I do to keep my
> own data secure?

You mean other than logging into the router with your manual next to
you? :-)

You're probably already using NAT without knowing it, that gives you
pretty good protection of any wired connections in and of itself. Now
days most routers also have a firewall, you should make sure it's
turned on. If you use the router's wireless capability you should use
WEP or WPA encryption.

Phil
--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing."