[X-Newbies] Wi-fi range extenders

W Lane wilann at telusplanet.net
Thu Jan 18 05:08:17 PST 2007

On 07-Jan-17, at 7:55 PM, Mark Taintor wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. Do some computers seem to have better built
> in antennas than others? When my son has been at a friend's
> apartment, the friend's computer(Don't know what kind) picks up the
> wifi signal in the apartment  just great while my son's MacBook
> gets nothing. In our home wireless network, his Macbook works
> great. Any thoughts about what would cause the difference in
> reception?

Yes, different computers get different reception. The MacBooks,
generally, are very good. By way of example, my MB at present 'sees'
15 networks in my neighborhood. My wife's PowerBook, sitting right
next to the MB, 'see's 4. Howkum? The PB antenna is 'buried' in the
body of the computer, the shell of which happens to be metallic. The
antenna in my MB is up in the display, the shell of which is plastic.