[X-Newbies] Got a question about the care and feeding of "disk images"

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Sat Jun 23 08:49:27 PDT 2007

On 6/22/07 11:59 PM, "Richard Ramsowr" <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Is it really necessary to keep and store such things
> as the disk images of an application after a
> successful install?
>
> I'm trying to cut down on my stored files on my drive.

Why would you want them again?
1) in case your drive fails and you have to get a new one and install from
scratch again.  (Drives do fail)
2) in case you buy a new computer and have to install from scratch again.
(You were gonna keep that same computer the rest of your life?)
3) in case some  new application or OS update or malware(!) trashes your
current installation so badly you have to install from scratch again.
(Happens every day.)

Note one common factor among these scenarios: A disk image residing on your
hard disk won't do you a bit of good.

That is why God gave us CDs/DVDs to burn.  Just choose a reliable brand, so
it will outlast you computer.