[X-Newbies] Questions re: Classic, Applications folder, firewall, faxing

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue May 15 17:35:50 PDT 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 5:17 PM, "" <dfmanno at TOAST.NET>
<dfmanno at TOAST.NET> wrote:

> I recently purchased a used iBook G4, and the vendor pre-loaded it
> with Tiger. I have no experience with OS X (my desktop runs 9.2.2),
> and
> so I have some questions:

I heartily recommend:

Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Tiger edition $19.77
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596009410/
qid=1115571197/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-8230648-9955160?
v=glance&s=books&n=507846>

or

http://tinyurl.com/9mwg3

> 1) I know that Tiger runs non-X apps under Classic. How do I tell
> if Classic is installed, and if it is not, how do I install it?

Go into System Preferences (in the Apple menu.)  Is there a
preference for Classic?  If so, open it and click on Start.  What
does it tell you?

Another way to tell is to open your boot drive's icon and look for
"System Folder" (NOT "System, " which is an OS X system folder) and
look inside and see if the OS 9 system is in it.

> 2) Is it OK to create subfolders in the Applications folder?

It is okay to create files and folders more or less anywhere you
want.  Just like under OS 9.  And just like under OS 9, it is
probably not a good idea to add new files and folders into areas that
contain system software.

And advantage of putting Applications in the Applications folder is
that you will be able to use Services

Also, Apple software won't be updated if it isn't where Apple's
installer originally put it.  (Apple's updaters only look for stuff
where it was originally put.)

> 3) Is the firewall in Tiger good enough security, or should I be
> looking for a third-party firewall? How do I activate Tiger's
> firewall?

It is plenty good.  However, you may prefer to use the firewall in
your router, if you are using one.  (Less overhead.)

You turn it on in System Preferences --> Sharing --> Firewall.

> 4) What's the easiest way to fax under Tiger?

Choose Print  in any application with a document open you want to
fax--> click on PDF button --> Fax PDF.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html