[X-Newbies] Questions re: Classic, Applications folder, firewall, faxing

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Tue May 15 17:42:52 PDT 2007

On 5/15/07 6:17 PM, "dfmanno at TOAST.NET" <dfmanno at TOAST.NET> wrote:

> I recently purchased a used iBook G4, and the vendor pre-loaded it with Tiger.
> I have no experience with OS X (my desktop runs 9.2.2), and
> so I have some questions:
>
> 1) I know that Tiger runs non-X apps under Classic. How do I tell if Classic
> is installed, and if it is not, how do I install it?

Go to System Preferences > System > Classic to find out.
If it is not there, drag the System Folder from an existing MacOS 9
installation (preferably for your specific model) onto your Root directory
-- doing a direct install of 9 onto a previously existing OS X installation
will screw up OS X. Then (you may have to restart first) open the Classic
control panel to configure it (you will be coached).
> 2) Is it OK to create subfolders in the Applications folder?

Yes, BUT some applications don't like it; some will work fine in a
subfolder.
MacOS 9/Classic expects to find its applications in a folder named
³Applications (Mac OS 9)² at the root level. Create one if it is not there.

> 3) Is the firewall in Tiger good enough security, or should I be looking for a
> third-party firewall? How do I activate Tiger's firewall?

It is plenty good.  Go  System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall

> 4) What's the easiest way to fax under Tiger?

Buy PageSender. Nothing else comes close.
www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14537