[X-Newbies] Re: Upgrading to Tiger

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Fri Nov 23 17:35:13 PST 2007

Normally, you do not need to use the original CDs for the machine to
upgrade to Tiger from Jaguar (10.2) or Panther (10.3).  I do not know
about using the "Upgrade" option from the earlier versions of OS X.

I recommend you do a bit of reading at Apple's web site about
installing Tiger.  Basically there are three options, Upgrade, Archive
and Install, and Erase and Install.  "Upgrade" is the easiest but the
riskiest if you have possible issues in the old system, some third
party software that is not up to standards, so many experts recommend
not to use it.  Archive and Install will put your old "System" aside
and give you a completely new System that is Tiger.  Then you can pick
and choose parts of the old system such as settings drag over to the
new system.  Erase and Install completely wipes out the contents of
your hard drive.  With the first two options, you should back up any of
your data files that you do not want to lose, just in case.  With the
third options, you must back up to pull back your data after erasing
and installing.

Your Tiger media will usually be a DVD, not a set of CDs.  So your
optical drive must be able to read DVDs or you have to find the CD
version somewhere.  After using the media installer, you may need to
download the latest "combo" update for Tiger to get you to the latest
version, now 10.4.11.

Hope this helps,

Al Poulin