[X-Newbies] Hard Drive Backup Questions

Paul Simpson psimpson_1 at msn.com
Tue Nov 27 12:49:39 PST 2007

I just inherited a 400mhz Power PC G3 with a MAC OS X Panther Ver 10.3.9
Operating System and want to back it up to a Seagate External Hard Drive
which is Mac compatable. I erased the External Hard Drive which was NTFS
formated as directed and am trying to reformat using the MAC. I'm given 2
format options and don't know which to choose - MAC OS Extended (Journaled)
OR MAC OS Extended.

My questions are: (1) Which format to chose?, and (2) What software should I
use to backup the following data folders - music, pictures, favorites, and
contacts?

Any help will be appreciated.

Paul