[X-Newbies] BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple pushes anti-virus for Macs

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Dec 2 13:38:52 PST 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 5:20 AM, Brian Durant wrote:

> Apple pushes anti-virus for Macs.
>
> "The support note recommends that Mac owners install one or more of
> three anti-virus products...
> Apple recommended users try McAfee VirusScan, Symantec Norton Anti-
> Virus 11, or Intego VirusBarrier X5."

Apple is suggesting that you use anti-virus (AV) software because
they are covering their asses.  That way if, god forbid, a
tremendously virulent piece of malware were to suddenly appear, they
could say "we told you to use AV software" and they would be absolved
from blame.

Of course, they say just the opposite in this television commercial:

<http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac_ads1/
viruses_480x376.mov>

or

http://comapple.notlong.com

Note that while Apple suggests using AV software, they don't mention
any specific threats.  That's because there are no really serious
threats currently.

If a malicious virus shows up for the Macintosh (and we all know that
it is imminent, because we have been told that it is imminent by
Windows apologists and "security experts" for 8 years now) it will be
all over the press, and they will be telling you specifically what it
is you have to protect yourself from.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html