[X-Newbies] iTunes carnage. Help needed.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 16:14:09 PDT 2008

Since I upgraded to Leopard 10.5.5, I have been experiencing problems with
the new iTunes 8 suddenly not being able to find where songs that are in my
iTunes libraries (system drive and external drive) are located. All of my
songs seem to be in place, but there have been exclamation marks in front of
a large number of my songs. I have been spending the past two weeks going
through iTunes song by song and pointing the entries to the correct
location. Today I tried to copy some of my songs to my sister in law's
iPhone and all of a sudden, iTunes couldn't find the iTunes libraries. I
searched in Time Machine and haven't been able to find them either, despite
the fact that everything was more or less hunky dory just a couple of hours
ago. I started trying to consolidate my libraries, but canceled after it was
taking too much time. Now I have two new libraries without any songs in
iTunes, but with my "iTunes Music" folders now residing with .mp3 files in
new "iTunes" folders.
How do I get myself out of this mess?

Cheers,

Brian