[X-Newbies] Re: iTunes 7.7.1 suddenly quits with OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Sep 4 09:55:00 PDT 2008

> From: "Brian Durant" <globetrotterdk at gmail.com>
>
> I am running iTunes 7.7.1 with OS X 10.4.11 Tiger on a G5 (single)
> and have
> suddenly started experiencing iTunes quiting when I try to play a
> file or
> import a CD. I have tried switching between two different libraries,
> but the
> symptoms are the same. The crash log lists a number of crashes:
> Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001) Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE
> (0x0002)
> at 0x00000020
>
> Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001) Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS
> (0x0001) at
> 0xbc8ddc9b
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what is going on?

First of all let me say GOOD ON YOU for looking into the crash log!
This can (despite its high tendency for gobbledegook) be a good place
to start troubleshooting.

Sadly, the complete iTunes crash log would be a lot more helpful than
just the short excerpt you provided here. In particular, what you are
looking for in the (sometimes quite lengthy) crash report is which
THREAD has crashed, and particularly if you see a mention of any other
programs besides iTunes in the crash log.

Due to the restrictions of this list, I would ask that you PLEASE not
post the entire crash log to the list. If you'd like me to take a look
at, just email it to me off-list and I'll see if I can discern any
clues.

In the meantime, did you recently upgrade RAM or make any significant
changes to the system, or add in any new iTunes plugins?

Cheers
Chas

My 80s music podcast! http://www.crustyoldwave.com