[X-Newbies] Your opinion on updating my OS

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sat Sep 6 14:57:44 PDT 2008

Edward:

By now, you would have received a few responses from folks at the iMac
list or the G-List.  There are just more people there ready to help.
I urge you to subscribe at:
http://lowendmac.com/lists/index.shtml

And while you are in that neighborhood, go back to the lowendmac.com
home page and sniff around.  Anyway, i'll pass on a few thoughts.

On Sep 4, 2008, at 1:19 PM, <greered at appstate.edu>
<greered at appstate.edu> wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I am looking for opinions on updating from 10.4.6 to whatever on my
> maxed out 1.42 GHz eMac.

Hopefully "maxed out" means you have at least 1 or 2 GB RAM.  And you
have a sweet machine.
http://lowendmac.com/imacs/emac-2005-1.42-ghz.html

Here, "updating" means going to the latest version of the current OS,
meaning 10.4.11.  This includes Safari 3 which is much improved
version which also comes with 10.5 Leopard.  Use the "combo" update
rather than a series of incremental updates.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10411comboupdateppc.html

> Everything is working and I have a lot of stuff I really don't want
> to break, some of which I would probably have
> to pay dearly to update/upgrade.

Hopefully, "a lot of stuff" means a bunch of applications in their
proper place, the Applications folder, and that all your data is in
your Users folder  under your Home folder.  Updating your OS will
leave your Users folder alone.  And if you do not have a bunch of
hacks, including some odd-ball shareware, and you have not made cute
changes via Terminal, which modify the way your OS works, all your
applications will also be left alone.

Now, to "upgrade" means something else:  going to 10.5 Leopard.  Here,
there are many new capabilities.  Apple's own applications are
improved.  However, note that your eMac will not support all of
Leopard's capabilities.  For example, you do not meet requirements for
one of the Leopard features, DVD Player.  You cannot do Boot Camp, or
load Windows with Parallels.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

Also, there is the possibility that a new version of the OS can leave
applications behind until the vendor catches up with an update.  Watch
for some impact if you run old peripheral devices where you would need
to update the drivers.

If you upgrade to Leopard, do NOT take the "Upgrade" option given to
you by the installer.  This merely interleaves the new 10.5 software
with portions of the 10.4.  Small things can go awry, even to
disaster.  Go for the Archive and Install option.  This puts the old
OS 10.4 aside in a safe place, and it drops the entire new 10.5
package in place, without touching your applications and data.  And it
still protects your system settings.  David Pogue's recent editions of
his Mac OS X The Missing Manual and similar publications which may be
in your campus library go into more detail.  Also, there is plenty of
guidance along this line on the web.

>  I have a silver powerbook that I can play with if I want to test
> but hate to break
> it also since I do a lot with it, but I could.

Yes, if you also want to update/upgrade it.  But to put a fine point
on all the above, you should back up anything you cannot afford to
lose.  Burn to CDs or DVDs.  Buy or borrow an external hard drive.  Do
it at the computer lab on campus.  Even some iPods have the same
capacity as the original hard drive on  your eMac.   Also, you can
clone your hard drive or parts of it with Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)
(free) or with SuperDuper ($30).  Macworld has reviews on the latest
versions online.

> What are your benchmarks for determining if/when you update your
> system?

Time has gone by since the release of the software and bug fixes have
come out.  The new software has at least one feature I want.  The
machine meets the minimum requirements.  The idea of keeping up with
the latest versions of applications, both Apple and non-Apple, which
sometimes leave older versions of the OS behind.

Final comment, after I bought an iMac with OS 10.5, I upgraded my 12"
iBook, G4/1.33 GHz (2005) from 10.4 to 10.5, just to keep the OSs the
same.  I especially love the new version of SpotLight.  It is a great
improvement over the version in 10.4, even to giving me hits on e-
mails that I have stored.

Good Luck in your decision,
Al Poulin