[X-Newbies] Help - spinning beach ball w/one minute of Leopard install left on G5.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 23:42:29 PDT 2008

I just tried installing Leopard (10.5.4) on my G5 single with "archive and
install". It worked fine until the end, where I got a message saying that
the installation was almost complete - a minute left. After about 10
minutes, I clicked on the "utilities" menu in the menu bar and suddenly got
a spinning beach ball. The progress bar stopped moving at the same time. The
situation remained the same for over an hour before I shut down my G5.

I rebooted without the install DVD and got an intro video and then Migration
Manager kicked in. The video and Migration Manager continued recycling if
anything besides migrating system and network prefs. I went for that as I
thought that the other bits could probably be transfered later. I got the
following error message:

"Networking settings could not be transferred correctly"

I booted into the system. Looong boot up with a yellowish-white screen, then
a black one and then finally I got a prompt to set settings, register, etc.
Access to the Internet through my router worked, I also suddenly got a
prompt that updates to the system were available. I decided things couldn't
get that much worse, so I updated to 10.5.5. The system rebooted and things
still seem to be working, though I still think the system boot is long
compared to Tiger.

Looking at the bright side, I have what seems to be a working system. I also
have a folder on the drive labeled "previous system". What do I do now?

1) Should I boot from the install DVD and run Disk Utility to check disk is
OK and permissions are fine?

2) How do I get all of my user stuff, apps, preferences registration keys,
etc. (particularly my Mail prefs, mailboxes, accounts, etc.) transfered from
the "previous system"?

3) Can I just move the OS 9 stuff that was with Tiger to the trash?

I waited as long as I did to upgrade to Leopard, to make sure that Apple had
sussed out the upgrade procedure. This obviously still isn't the case.

Cheers,

Brian