[X-Newbies] Error Message: Your Startup Disk is almost full

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Apr 24 19:12:48 PDT 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Paul Simpson wrote:

> My wife got an older MAC from our daughter when she bought a new
> one. She has been using it for a few years and recently got the
> above mentioned message. I have used IBM PCs with windows all my
> life and know very little about MACS. Need some help on how to deal
> with this problem. Suspect its related to too many programs starting
> when PC is turned on.

Your "Startup Disk" is the hard drive in your computer that has all of
your programs and files stored on it. If its almost full, that means
there may not be enough space on it to store any more files (text
documents, pictures, music files...). 20 gigs is tiny by today's
standards. Some programs even use part of the hard drive to
temporarily store information and won't run properly if the drive is
full.

The cheapest solution is to delete any files on the hard drive that
you no longer need or want. The other alternatives involve either
replacing the hard drive in the computer with a bigger one, or buying
an external storage device of some kind. You can get replacement hard
drives that hold 100's of gigabytes for $50-100. External solutions
cost a bit more, but you they can continue to be used if you ever
upgrade to a different computer. If you decide to go the upgrade or
external storage route, send another message to the list. There are
usually people reading who know where the good deals of the day can be
found.

-Mike