[X-Newbies] Re: Out of memory message in OS X of all the darndest things!

J themacintoshlady at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 28 07:14:03 PDT 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 7:03 AM, Charles Martin wrote:

>> From: J <themacintoshlady at earthlink.net>
>>
>> I have to admit I have not updated my Powerbook G4 circa 2004 to a
>> spiffy new Intel model only because I love using AppleWorks for
>> simple lists and letters etc.
>
> That doesn't make any sense. Appleworks (version 6.2.4) runs just
> fine on all the latest Intel Mac hardware, using the latest Leopard.

I know but that's not what they told me in the store. I do have a
copy of this (w/updater) I've saved and cherished and would still try
it though.

> It will cease to work with Snow Leopard, but providing you don't
> upgrade to that* you can use AppleWorks to your heart's content.

Well I still have to get a new Mac so I guess I'd better get one
before Snow Leopard comes out eh?

> *you really should move up to the iWork Suite -- far better and
> more compatible with Office, etc. but you do have to learn the "new
> way."

I have the latest boxed version of that program someplace... I
installed it on my Dad's machine and was not impressed with it but my
sister thinks it's the cats meow since she has a PC but is
increasingly sneaking next door to use his computer!

>> AppleWork's spreadsheet component opens MUCH faster
>> than EXCEL and is usually all I need to keep text records of emails
>> in case in an emergency I have to send out BCC, etc..
>
> For simple spreadsheets, AppleWorks (at least the version I have)
> can opt to save in an Excel (or Word) compatible format.

Wah, but I don't wanna use EXCEL, it takes so darn long to open for
one thing.

>> Recently while taking emails from an EXCEL file to put into a
>> database for a mailing list online, EXCEL puts up this Out Of Memory
>> Message.
>
> You must be using a pretty old copy of Excel for this to be
> happening, or it's corrupted.

Office 2008 isn't that old. I am going to look for the update.