[X-Newbies] Re: Out of memory message in OS X of all the darndest things!

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Apr 28 04:03:17 PDT 2009

> From: J <themacintoshlady at earthlink.net>
>
> I have to admit I have not updated my Powerbook G4 circa 2004 to a
> spiffy new Intel model only because I love using AppleWorks for
> simple lists and letters etc.

That doesn't make any sense. Appleworks (version 6.2.4) runs just fine
on all the latest Intel Mac hardware, using the latest Leopard.

It will cease to work with Snow Leopard, but providing you don't
upgrade to that* you can use AppleWorks to your heart's content.

*you really should move up to the iWork Suite -- far better and more
compatible with Office, etc. but you do have to learn the "new way."

> AppleWork's spreadsheet component opens MUCH faster
> than EXCEL and is usually all I need to keep text records of emails
> in case in an emergency I have to send out BCC, etc..

For simple spreadsheets, AppleWorks (at least the version I have) can
opt to save in an Excel (or Word) compatible format.

> Recently while taking emails from an EXCEL file to put into a
> database for a mailing list online, EXCEL puts up this Out Of Memory
> Message.

You must be using a pretty old copy of Excel for this to be happening,
or it's corrupted.

Cheers
Chas

(VMUG VP and Novice SIG Leader)