[X-Newbies] our list can be viewed on the internet

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Mon Jan 5 03:41:27 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 04:05:54PM CST, Carole Wessel <carwesg at aol.com> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2008, at 2:12 AM, Michael Winter wrote:
>> On Dec 19, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Carole Wessel wrote:
>>
>>> it gives all kinds of info on people's personal computer and
>>> questions they may have, I am not sure this should be public !!!
>>> How do we do to take it out and also how did it happen to get there
>>> ??
>>
>> That's the list archive -its there so people can search it to see if
>> the question they have has already been answered. Most discussion lists
>> keep their archives online for that purpose.
>>
>> So, the first thing to understand is that discussion lists are public.
>> Don't assume anything you post to the list is private, because its not.
>> That goes for pretty much any discussion list on the internet unless it
>> specifically mentions that its a private list.
>
> I understand your answer but still, it's the only one with my name on it
> and I have written to this list many times. so where are the other
> conversations? I still don't understand how it gets physically on the
> internet. For example, this list is private, you have to register so how
> come someone takes the whole conversation over 30 days and posts it?

Older post, so I'll keep it as brief as possible.

1. This list is NOT private.  It is quite public.  The registration
process exists to enforce the policy that only list members may post.
However, anyone and everyone can read, including non-list members.
So posts are quite public.

2. All posts are physically stored on the themacintoshguy.com web site.
Since the list owner gave permission, all posts are also indexed by
Google.  So all posts are quite public and quite searchable.

3. Although you have real concerns about identity theft, the bad guys
need more information than your name and email address.  They prefer
things like postal addresses, phone numbers, credit card info, social
security numbers, and other useful pieces of information.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/