[X-Newbies] Re: Key Board Errors

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Jun 25 15:14:18 PDT 2009

> From: "Paul Simpson" <psimpson_1 at msn.com>
>
> My wife has a MAC running "MAC OS X Panther Ver 10.3.9".

Thanks for this info, it's very helpful. BTW, the term "Mac" is short
for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be
capitalised. There's another computer term that uses MAC (all caps) so
to avoid confusion, don't capitalise when you are talking about a Mac
(of any kind) meaning the computer product from Apple.

Ditto for iPod. :)

> Her MAC's been working fine for the past several years but recently
> she's
> got a consistent problem with her keyboard. When she strikes the Q
> key she
> gets an A. This happens with numerous other keys. SO I went out and
> bought
> her a replacement keyboard. BUT when I connected the new keyboard and
> checked it out, we get the exact same errors.  Needless to say I
> returned
> the new keyboard. Any thoughts on how I go about fixing the
> problem???????????

I think Carole has hit the nail on the head, and another keyboard
layout has been accidentally invoked. If you don't see a flag of some
kind in your menubar, just go to "International" in your System
Preferences, click on "Input Menu" and make sure that ONLY the
language you want to use is checked and no other.

Cheers
Chas