[X-Newbies] Out of memory message in OS X of all the darndest things!

x-newbies-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com x-newbies-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
Thu Jun 25 04:48:47 PDT 2009

From: J <themacintoshlady at earthlink.net>
> That doesn't make any sense. Appleworks (version 6.2.4) runs just
>> fine on all the latest Intel Mac hardware, using the latest Leopard.
>
> I know but that's not what they told me in the store.

I assure you Appleworks 6.2.9 (I said 6.2.4 above, oops) continues to
run in Leopard. I have it on my up-to-the-minute updated Intel Black
MacBook, and it works fine (there are some bugs in the program
particularly to do with printing and "recent documents," but those
have always been there).

> ON this same subject, where can I get a student edition of Photoshop?
>
> I can no longer provide teacher or student credentials and that is
> another reason I don't upgrade.

It would be illegal for you to obtain Photoshop under a student/
educator license without actually being a student or educator, and
Adobe is quite aggressive on this point.

You might consider getting Photoshop Elements 6 instead. It's $99US
(often discounted at places like Amazon) and does 90% of what "full-
blown" PShop does.

Microsoft is much less so, they basically do not care to the point
that they've renamed the Student Edition the "HOME/Student/Teacher"
edition.

Cheers
Chas