[X-Newbies] Laserwriter to Intel Macs?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Oct 6 20:28:43 PDT 2010

On Oct 6, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Mark Taintor wrote:

> My old G4/533 has just given up the ghost and I would like to
> connect my Macbook Pro to my Laserwriter 16/600. I believe I need
> to find a printer driver for this computer since I can't get the
> laptop to see the printer.( I do have an adapter that lets me
> connect an ethernet cable to the printer.) Can anybody point me in
> the right direction?And when I get a new computer that runs Snow
> Leopard,  will that new computer work with this old printer? Or do
> I finally need to go to something made in this century?

The 16/600 is a Postscript printer, so all that you need is a
Postscript driver.  There is one included with OS X:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1788?viewlocale=en_US
The 16/600 has an Ethernet port, so the physical connection should be
no problem either.

Snow Leopard will present a challenge, since Snow Leopard drops
AppleTalk support.

AppleTalk networking is not present in OS X 10.6
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669>
(See: AppleTalk Note)

However, you can use an older Mac as a print server on your network
and use OS X's Printer Sharing feature to print to it. (Ungainly, but
effective)

Or you can...
Switch to IP Address mode:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8670.html>
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10402240-263.html?
part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
<https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Support/KB/Docs/
PrintingTCPIPPrintin>
<http://www.askdavetaylor.com/
how_do_i_configure_a_lan_printer_on_mac_os_x.html>
<http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/snowleopard/
topic4875.html#d03aug2009>

<http://theappleblog.com/2009/09/04/how-to-resurrect-your-appletalk-
printer-in-snow-leopard/>

Make Old Apple Printers Work in Snow Leopard
<http://db.tidbits.com/article/10626>

Good article on getting an old AppleTalk printer working under OS X
10.6:
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10402240-263.html?tag=nl.e795>

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance