[X Servers] Mail Setup question

Sytse Kuijk sytse at pobox.com
Wed Feb 26 01:41:47 PST 2003

Pedro,

Up at night hu?

 From what you tell, you seem to be missing a disk with the
administrator tools. These tools contain all you need, although there
are some little things that might be a problem.
In you server installation, there must be a manual also, that
explains the full set up for all services. As you are using 10.2.4,
the manual is very complete and most things should be relatively easy.

Having said all that, there still can be some small issues.
For outgoing mail, you can try to let the system send its mail
wherever it is addressed to, but that has a chance of not working. It
is possible that your ISP is blocking all SMTP traffic except for
that to its own SMTP server. This is a fairly common way to block
spam, as it can be traced more easily to the sender. In that case you
need to set up your server such that it sends all non-local mail to
your ISPs SMTP server (e.g. smtp.yourisp.com). Most anyone should be
able to get around this hurdle fairly easily, as it is a local
configuration issue.
For incoming mail, SMTP access is even more often blocked, this time
to protect the ISP customers from spam, that is not filtered by the
ISP. In that case you will not get mail until you get your ISP to
open port 25 (SMTP) for connections to your IP address. They will
generally not do this for a dynamic address, as that is too complex.
They also like to charge you for the additional cost of fixed IP
address, with SMTP accessibility.
You also need to make sure that yoou have set up an MX record in your
DNS setup. To do that, see details in books like "DNS and Bind" by
Albitz and Lu from O'Reilly.

And use the nights to sleep and social activities, not to work on
freekin' computers...

sytse