server upgrade, user directory mystery

Pat Ellis ellis at champlaincollege.qc.ca
Wed Mar 19 06:41:35 PST 2003

I have a Mac OS X Server, originally running 10.1.5, upgraded to
10.2.x.  It is set to be a local server (no parent or child configuration,
student home directories are local)

User directories created prior to the upgrade are still there and
individual students can log in.  However, their directories (/Users/short name)
are, apparently not being used.  Documents and preferences that
reside there are from last year and new work that they save does
not appear in these directories.  For our night students (accounts created
post upgrade), I created a folder called Users (Cont Ed) and made it their
sharepoint for their accounts.  It works as expected.

With Workgroup Manager I verifed the actual path of for their "local"
directories.  The night students home folders are at
/Network/Servers/pdm/Server HD/Users (Cont Ed)/short name

whereas the daytime students who existed prior to upgrading are at
/Network/Servers/pdm/Volumes/Server HD/Users/short name

I am assuming that the problem lies in the Volumes part of the path
although the students have no problem logging in to Mac Manager,
working, saving and accessing documents.  The trouble is, we can't find
where on the server this work is being saved to and their documents
from last year (still in the original directory) are not accessible.

Clients are running 9.2.2 with MM 2.2.2
Any ideas?  TIA