[X Servers] newbie questions

Sytse Kuijk sytse at pobox.com
Fri Mar 28 03:26:35 PST 2003

Hi,

I admire you for the courage of jumping head forward into this type
of configurations. All of this takes more time and explanation than a
single mail can hold.

For the open directory stuff I cannot be of much help.

For the DNS stuff, as stated in the OS X server manuals, get the book
about DNS and Bind by Albitz and Liu. This is like the DNS bible, and
helps you understand. I set up our DNS using that documentation, and
was successful. I even wiped away the original BIND version 8.3.2
that comes with the OS X server distribution and replaced it with the
9.2 version, to be able to use the "view" features.
But again, this does cost time and lots of testing, as well as a fair
amount of hacking.

sytse

At 11:53 +0100 28-03-2003, Ferdinand Fuchs wrote:
>hello,
>
>I got this week mac os x server 10.2. unfortunately I must
>recognize, that it isn't as easy as I hoped. the admin guide  didn't
>answer every question that I have, e.g. about open directory. so I
>would like to ask you to give me some tips for the following
>problems:
>
>>  opendirectory
>how should I configure open directory with the open directory
>assistant? the mac os x server will be used in the following
>environment:
>
>cable modem -> zyxel router with fix WAN ip-address, LAN with NAT ->
>Mac OS X Server (a g4 power mac) with filesharing for 5 windows 2000
>clients and 3 mac os x 10.2 clients. a mailserver for our domain
>should be running, too.
>
>in the opendirectory assistant I activated the following options:
>- the server is using a permanent IP address and subnet
>- the server will provide directory information to other computers
>   (note: there are no other servers in the network)
>- enable LDAP support on this server
>- passwort and authentication information will be provided
>   to other systems
>
>I'm unsure, because I have the following problems with this setup:
>- I can only log-in with a windows 2000 client, that have
>administrator-privileges. with username/password of a "normal" user,
>I always get the log-in window again without mounting the volume -
>I'm sure, that username and password are correct, so I don't know,
>why I have this problem
>
>- because mac os x server is ldap-capable, I thought I can use it
>for storing the email-addresses of our clients and suppliers, every
>user in our network use in his email-app the ldap directory, so
>every user has the same source for email-addresses.
>but how can I create a company-wide ldap email-address pool?
>
>>  dsn-server
>for using a mail-server, I read in the admin guide, I must have a
>running dns-server. I would like to know, if I can use the name of
>our domain, or can make this troubles?
>Can I do the following?
>- change the mx-record of our domain (that is hosted from my
>provider) to the ip-address of the zyxel router. with "port
>forwarding" should be our mac os x server reachable as mailserver
>- I would create an www.ourdomain.com entry on our mac os x
>domainserver, with the IP-address of the webserver from our provider.
>- ourdomain.com will get the ip-address of our router
>- mail.ourdomain.com will get the ip-adress of the mac os x server
>   (so mail.ourdomain.com should be used in our email-apps as
>    POP- & SMTP-server-address)
>
>is it with this configuration possible, that the mac os x server is
>mailserver and my colleagues can visit our homepage?
>
>many thanks for your help in advance!
>
>yours sincerely
>

>ferdinand

>To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
><X-Servers-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> [...]

- Sytse Kuijk                            -       ___
- R.S.R. n.v.                            -       o|o
- Gijzelaarsstraat 16                    - \_____(.)_____/
- 2000 Antwerpen                         -
- Daytime phone: +32 3 313 5239	         -
- GSM: +32 495 20 99 00                  -              ___
- Phone: +32 3 216 4328                  -              o|o
- E-mail: sytse at pobox.com                -        \_____(.)_____/