[X Servers] Running headless at a co-lo

Chris Long clong at lib.drury.edu
Sat May 17 13:54:58 PDT 2003

I've been using Apple Remote Desktop for about 6 months to do this sort
of thing, though the first server was not in another building but in
another room, because I was tired of walking down the hall. :-)

It works very well, and I have since started using it on a G3 server
that I run headlessly in my office, and I've used it a number of times
on different projects, including our current Quicktime stream of the
commencement ceremonies.  The connection seems a bit slow from the DSL
at my house, but on campus it works extremely well.  I don't know what
your network speed is, but you can tweak the settings for performance
somewhat.

I would want some desktop access because, just as you said, I don't
like trying to do everything from SSH.

Best of luck.
Chris