[X Servers] smb.conf configuration Q's

Dalton Hamilton dalton_hamilton at mac.com
Thu Apr 8 08:24:07 PDT 2004

If I understand what you're trying to do, I think you want "create
permissions" specified in the inidividual shares and "inherent
permissions" in the global.  Here is a smb.conf that will force the
permission on each file created such that the permissions will be the
same permissions as the parent directory.  The in the example below is
called [ashare] located in a directory /shares/ashare.

[global]
         client code page = 437
         coding system = utf8
         guest account = unknown
         encrypt passwords = YES
         local master = YES
         max smbd processes = 0
         print command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess printps %p  %s
         lpq command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess jobs %p
         lprm command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess remove %p  %j
         lppause command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess hold %p  %j
         lpresume command = /usr/sbin/PrintServiceAccess release %p  %j
         printer admin = unknown, @staff
         server string = Mac OS X Server
         log file = /Library/Logs/WindowsServices/WindowsFileService.log
         netbios name = osx
         workgroup = YOUR_WORKGROUP
         wins support = YES
         domain master = YES