Managing startup services

Peter C.S. Adams adamsp at cs.umb.edu
Thu Mar 18 14:19:04 PST 2004

I have two questions regarding startup. First, it appears that most services
like Apache do not start at STARTUP but at LOGIN. Yesterday I came in after
an unexplained "event" to find the server rebooted and waiting for me to log
in to Mac OS X, and it appears the web server etc., did not start until I
did so. Is this true?? Do I have to turn on "Automatic Login" ... on a
SERVER??

Second, I am having trouble getting the "run on startup" setting of MySQL to
stick. This makes me think there must be a better way of managing apps that
have no GUI at startup. Do any of you run non-GUI apps? If so, how do you
have them start?

Thanks,
    peter