Is OS X Server right for us?

Frank Flynn frank at declan.com
Mon Mar 29 14:02:27 PST 2004

Hi,

I've volunteered to help a local non profit group.  They are a mostly Mac
(10 older iMacs and 2 PC's).  Currently they run OS 9 and are considering
upgrading.

My questions are:

-Where can I find out about the particular features of OS X server (as
opposed to those open source similar tools I can find and load for free) - I
did look on Apple's web site but the pages there aren't very detailed; it
says yes we can connect all your users - Mac and PC's and life will be
beautiful...  But I'd like to have a good understanding before I talk these
guys into spending a few thousand $$'s.

-The fundamental things I'm looking for are:
    Universal users accounts (one person, one PW on all machines)
    User file management (my personal files follow me where I login)
    Universal backup and recovery
    Easy administration
I assume I will fine all of these in the OS X server (no?)

-Are there any thoughts about running OS X on older iMacs (300 to 500 Mhz)?
Obviously I'd like to upgrade this hardware but depending on what I spend
for the server I just can't afford it.

-If we keep some of the Mac on OS 9 does the X server do anything for them
besides a appleshare fileserver?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Frank

--