[X-Servers] Windoze remote connectivity

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 12 15:45:14 PDT 2004

At 08:35 -0700 12/10/04, Hari Tirumalai wrote:
>You can try:
>Start->Run
>Open: \\<ip-address>
>(Notice the two back-slashes )
>This'll get you to user-name, password window and the usual samba mount.
>Hope this helps .. Hari
>
>On Oct 12, 2004, at 1:02 AM, Mark Gibson wrote:
>
>I must admit I feel like a goose asking this but
>its eluding me and I figure the quickest fix is
>to swallow my pride and ask.
>
>The scenario. A OS X 10.3.5 machine with access
>to the 'net (IP address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX). File
>sharing setup (SMB activated for the shares),
>windows services running and FTP services
>running.
>
>Remote Mac's can connect via "Go": "Connect to
>Server", type in IP address, provide userid and
>password and boom they are in as if it was on a
>physical LAN in the next room.
>
>But how the @$%#@^%^ do I get a Windoze XP Pro box to do it?
>
>Opening a browser page and typing in
>ftp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX fails, Trying to map a
>drive fails.
>
>I've read the Windows Services Configuration
>doco and didn't see anything pertinent.
>
>Somebody out there must have done this successfully before me?
>--

Hari,

Actually no, it gives me "The network path was not found"

I've tried this now from a few PC's in different
location so I can discount issues such as ports
being blocked at a particular site.

--

Regards,

Mark (}-:

Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

Microsoft©: What do you want to assimilate today?
Microsoft©: Where did you want to go yesterday?
Microsoft©: Too bad, you're coming with us.