[X-Servers] RAID 5 on a G5 Xserve?

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Fri Oct 29 01:01:22 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a G5 Xserve for a client
and setting up a RAID 5 array with the 3 drive
bays.

Is this possible on the G5 version of the Xserve
or can you only stripe and mirror like on the
G4's and need to buy a Xserve RAID array to get
the full RAID 5, "replace dead drive and rebuild
the array on the fly" type features?

I asked the guy at the local Apple Cantre and his
eyes started to glaze over when I said "Xserve"
and went blank when I said "RAID" (I guess they
are mainly into iMacs and iPods).
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:

Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch...