[X-Servers] Re: RAID 5 on a G5 Xserve?

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Fri Oct 29 01:27:55 PDT 2004

At 10:11 +0200 29/10/04, Christoph Kuhn wrote:
>hi,
>
>as far as i know it is possible as built to order option to get a
>raid-controller-card for the xserve...
>
>regards
>
>chris
>
>Am 29.10.2004 um 10:01 schrieb Mark Gibson:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm looking at getting a G5 Xserve for a client and setting up a
>>RAID 5 array with the 3 drive bays.
>>
>>Is this possible on the G5 version of the Xserve or can you only
>>stripe and mirror like on the G4's and need to buy a Xserve RAID
>>array to get the full RAID 5, "replace dead drive and rebuild the
>>array on the fly" type features?
>>
>>I asked the guy at the local Apple Cantre and his eyes started to
>>glaze over when I said "Xserve" and went blank when I said "RAID"
>>(I guess they are mainly into iMacs and iPods).
>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Mark (}-:
>>
>>Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1
>>
>>Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch...

Christoph,

By george you're right!

Sorry I failed to explore all the pull down options.

Thanks for the fast, accurate answer.
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:

Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

Einstein never accepted quantum mechanics because of this element of
chance and uncertainty. He said, "God does not play dice." It seems
that Einstein was doubly wrong. The quantum effects
of black holes suggests that not only does God play dice, He
sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen.  --Steven Hawking