[X-Servers] KDC will not run - "Unable to bind to Parent" error?

Frank Flynn frank at declan.com
Wed Sep 22 15:10:25 PDT 2004

> The KDC requires DNS to have both forward and reverse lookups setup
> correctly, did you set up a reverse record?

Yes, well I clicked the little checkbox that said "Create reverse
record" and that did create a record which was the opposite of the
first one (fields were reversed).  I tried 'dig' on the name and it
worked but I never tried to look up the address and see if it got the
name.

> Here's the bad news, once that KDC fails to start, about the only way
> to fix it is to reinstall OSX Server. Actually, I have not seen a way
> to fix this yet without reinstalling the server operating system. I've
> called several people at Apple and received the same answer.

Hummm - bummer.  Well if I need to do that now would be the time.  It
seems particularly intransigent right now.

But is there a better guide, something step by step which I could
follow?  The Apple documentation is light on the specifics, it just
goes on and on about how many cool things it could do once you got it
working.

Thanks
Frank