[X-Servers] Authentication - I can't get it to work...

Frank Flynn frank at declan.com
Wed Sep 29 12:11:23 PDT 2004

I have an X-server, new 10.3 - after a fresh install I've got it set up
as an Open Directory Master.  I have created a few users.  I have added
some Mac's (but now it's set to allow any Mac to connect)

Under the Open Directory tab in the Server Admin tool it shows
everything is running.

I can login to this box from any user by:
  -connect to server (from the finder)
  -ssh
  -Server Admin tool (only me because only I can administrate the server)

But I cannot login to a client machine using this LDAP server.  I have
set up Directory Access on the client machines (enabled LDAP3, added
this server to the search path).  All that happens is anytime I login
it refuses my login.

So back to the manual and I try:
    ldapsearch -h 192.168.100.1 -b "dc=ecxample,dc=com" -x   (adjusted
for my server)

and it returns my users and various encoded text I assume to be binary
and encrypted passwords and such.

Does anyone have a clue where to look next?  Are there debug tools that
can tell me where the break down is?  I'm not sure if I've got the
clients or the server set up properly.  Apple manual tells me to look
in the kdc.log file for error messages but in fact there is no such
file and no obvious way to turn kdc logging on.

Any help appreciated
Frank