[X-Servers] FTP User Management

Anita Holmgren anita at tenon.com
Mon Jan 17 13:42:33 PST 2005

At 11:24 AM -0800 1/17/05, Ken Schneider wrote:
>I am trying to help a friend setup his FTP site on Panther Server
>and nothing is going right. He basically has 3 groups of people that
>would connect to the server for FTP uploading and downloading -
>Family, Friends, and Co-workers. Files are divided up into 8
>different folders. Naturally, some folders are available to 2
>groups, some to 1 group, some to a different 2 groups, all with some
>overlap. Total number of users is probably around 25-35.

>We cannot figure out how to do this with Panther Server. ... he also
>has plans to use this computer with Panther Server as his web
>server. Will he run into the same type of stuff there or should he
>just spend the bucks and get WebStar V?

A better alternatve to WebSTAR V is iTools 7.
http://www.tenon.com/products/itools7
The FTP server with iTools will let him set up as many users as he
wants and confine each user to their own directory (more security
then using Panther's FTP server).   So it will be just like what he's
used to from CrushFTP or Rumpus.

iTools will let him use Apache, with all the set up and configuration
via a browser-based GUI. (iTools works with Mac OS X client or
server.)

And, best of all, Tenon is  happy to work closely with customers to
help with the set up.

-Anita
--
Tenon Intersystems                                       805-963-6983
232 Anacapa Street, #2A                               anita at tenon.com
Santa Barbara, CA 93101                          http://www.tenon.com