[X-Servers] FTP User Management

Peter C.S. Adams adamsp at cs.umb.edu
Tue Jan 18 07:45:11 PST 2005

Thus spake Ken Schneider <ken at schneider.net>, circa 1/17/2005 2:24 PM:
> I am trying to help a friend setup his FTP site on Panther Server and
> nothing is going right. [...] each user [should] be directed to the
> appropiate folder (Friends, Family, Co-worker) upon login.

I'm not sure what exactly what difficulty you're having, but maybe this will
help. Go to Server Admin, click FTP, then Advanced. One of the settings is
labeled "Authenticated users see" and controls where users are taken when
they log in. Mine is set to "Home directories with share points." What you
might want to do is set it to set this to FTP Root and populate that with
aliases to the various group folders.

> As a side note - he also has plans to use this computer with Panther
> Server as his web server. Will he run into the same type of stuff there
> or should he just spend the bucks and get WebStar V?

What kind of stuff? The web server is very easy to configure.

      peter