[X-Servers] 10.3.9 Server - DHCP and Static IP Addressing

S. F. Sobczynski stans at sigma4.com
Thu May 12 11:08:18 PDT 2005

Hi All,

We have a Netopia R5300 T1 router, with a block of .1-.31 static
assigned internet IPs. Minus 1 address for the router, it is set to
pass the others through untouched. We previously had the router
handling NAT and DHCP but had one of our DHCP Windows clients catch a
Worm and do a broadcast directly through the router.

Two things:
1. I would like the rest of the static IPs to pass through our XServe
for improved firewall, monitoring, etc. but to still be accessible
to/from the internet.

2. I am also trying to set up a block of 192.168.0.x addresses to be
DHCPed through the XServer, predominately for the Windows users.

I have succeeded in getting AFP, DNS, Firewall and VPN activated but
am having trouble setting up DHCP or the static addresses (other than
the IP for the XServe itself). No luck at all with setting up the
static IPs (using NAT?) and only partial luck setting up the DHCP
addresses. If I manually set addresses from the DHCP address block on
the client computers everything works fine. But if I set it up for
dynamic assignment the addresses do not get passed down to the client
machines and they are unable to connect.

I have looked through all the docs, looked through the discussion
boards and posted to the Apple Discussion list but have been unable
to find any info to solve these two items. Anyone have any ideas or
direction to materials covering this?

TIA,
Stan
stans at sigma4.com

Stan Sobczynski			       Email: mailto:stans at sigma4.com
Sigma 4, Inc.				 Web: http://www.sigma4.com
1155 S. Telshor, Suite 201               Tel: (505) 532-5768
Las Cruces, NM 88011                     Fax: (505) 532-5769