[X-Servers] 10.3.9 Server - DHCP and Static IP Addressing

oemx oem at mac.com
Thu May 12 18:10:13 PDT 2005

> Hi All,
>
> We have a Netopia R5300 T1 router, with a block of .1-.31 static
> assigned internet IPs. Minus 1 address for the router, it is set to
> pass the others through untouched. We previously had the router
> handling NAT and DHCP but had one of our DHCP Windows clients catch
> a Worm and do a broadcast directly through the router.
Enjoy W$ :-)
> Two things:
> 1. I would like the rest of the static IPs to pass through our
> XServe for improved firewall, monitoring, etc. but to still be
> accessible to/from the internet.
Do you mean :
your client in one side of the Xserve (LAN Side)
and internet in the second ethernet NIC of your Xserve. (WANSide)
And if so, you want your clients to be able to brwose internet, mail,
etc… and eventually be accessible FROM WAN.

> 2. I am also trying to set up a block of 192.168.0.x addresses to
> be DHCPed through the XServer, predominately for the Windows users.
>
> I have succeeded in getting AFP, DNS, Firewall and VPN activated
> but am having trouble setting up DHCP or the static addresses
> (other than the IP for the XServe itself).
> No luck at all with setting up the static IPs (using NAT?)
What do you really consider as static IP, static or DHCP
withStaticIP. ?? Anyway-> see further the mail…

> I have looked through all the docs, looked through the discussion
> boards and posted to the Apple Discussion list but have been unable
> to find any info to solve these two items. Anyone have any ideas or
> direction to materials covering this?

You need to do and check many things:

1st) you've done it : DNS setup.

2sd) for your DHCP things, you need

> and only partial luck setting up the DHCP addresses. If I manually
> set addresses from the DHCP address block on the client computers
> everything works fine. But if I set it up for dynamic assignment
> the addresses do not get passed down to the client machines and
> they are unable to connect.

a- in Workgroup Manager : go to Computer list and be sure to get all
your computers listed in at least one list.
    - for the macs it's easy :-) just click Browse and pick up your
client in the list. Or if you've got the host name and MACAdress just
click on the + button and type in your datas. (I, personnaly, name
the computer with its host name : computer.domain.com)
   - for Windows Clients, arrrrggg, I don't remember where on windows
you set this up but you need to enter the computer name in the
windows list ( for exemple : WINMACHINE) on the Xserve. Go on the W$
and in ctrl-click->properties, you can set the WORKGROUP or domain
(depends on your Server admin setup), and the computer name.

b-in SystemePreferences/network

- Be Sure to put your WAN interface in top of the list and your LAN
just after.
- You'll need to enable NAT, and I've read, and successfully tested,
that you SHOULD LEAVE EMPTY the GATEWAY address on the LAN settings.
you also have to enter your Server IP in the DNS field (presuming it
is providing DNS to your LAN).

c- in ServerAdmin

NAT : some say you should ONLY activate the service and NOT click on
the popupmenu.
In facts it depends on your en0 and en1. (to know which is what, just
launch NetworkUtility)

if your LAN is en0 and WAN en1, then you should select share en1.
you can check this in /etc/nat/natd.plist (eventually you'll have to
alter also the natd.plist.default - BACKUP it BEFORE !!!)

d- Server Admin
DHCP -VPN just be sure to NOT have the same 'range' for DHCP and VPN.
exemple:
DHCP : 192.168.1.40->192.168.1.80
VPN : 192.168.1.140->192.168.1.180
enter your Server IP in DNS field.

e- acces from the outside :
You'll have to play with the firewal here, and second you'll have
also to play with your Router, so WAN can get access, but you should
VPN, at this stage and then connect to the server.

f- hope it helps

h- I have suffer (knowing only Mac -since AppleIIe) when I HAD to
setup a W$ in my network… really suffered.
:-)
oemx