[X-Servers] Dual G5 Tower as a 10.4 Server?

Patrick Ellis ellis at champlaincollege.qc.ca
Wed May 25 11:28:16 PDT 2005

Good afternoon all,

First off, will a new PowerMac G5 tower running the new Tiger
Server software.  I would assume yes since it is running Tiger
client but I want to make absolutely sure (the decision making
people above me always require assurances from elsewhere!)

Now, I work for a small college in the Montreal (Quebec) area and
I finally have a wee bit of money to replace an old PowerMac G4
(Gigabit Ethernet) machine that has been serving one of my labs.
Originally I looked at the XServe but have found it to be rather
expensive for what you get and wonder what the advantages are
to the XServe are over a G5 tower running the same server software.

The services run in this lab presently include client/mobile client
authentication and workgroup management.  I may use it as well -
from time ti time - for basic/limited QuickTime streaming
(essentially, our
present and immediate future needs are not overwhelming).  Our DHCP
and DNS services are handled strictly by a Windows server elsewhere
and the likelihood of us using XSan, XServe raid, clusters etc... is
little to none.

Comparing the two, I can go with:

XServe 2.0GHz (single processor)
1GB RAM
80GB Hard drive (x2)
Combo drive
dual gigabit ethernet
no video card
Tiger Server (unlimited client)

or, for roughly the same price

PowerMac G5 (dual 2.0GHz)
1.5GB RAM
250GB Hard drive (x2)
16X SuperDrive
dual gigabit ethernet (Sonnett PCI card already on campus)
Radeon 9600 (128MB) video card
Tiger Server (unlimited client)

There are a number of options that I can tinker with
(i.e. 2.5GB memory and 2x160GB hard drives etc...)

Space and physical security is not an issue for us.  Based on our
(seemingly) smaller that typical needs and the specs above I would
think that the Tower/separately bought Server software is a more
logical approach but would appreciate any input.

Sorry for the long post. TIA,
Patrick Ellis

Tracking #: 5D7548ED081A49458C59A6EEC6CCFB156B0B643C