[X-Servers] Xserve & RAID...

Dave Walker davewalker1 at mac.com
Fri Nov 4 02:47:01 PST 2005

Hi Matthew

The short answer is yes and no - you can do RAID 1 without the card,
and with built in software, but it is a bit slow
RAID 5 you will need the hardware card - (recommended - I use it and
it is very quick). SoftRAID would work OK for a set of external
drives, but I don't think you can use it as a bootable drive, hence
no use for Xserve on its own

Hope this helps

Dave