[X-Servers] Xserve & RAID...

Brent Baisley brent at landover.com
Fri Nov 4 09:38:17 PST 2005

Actually SoftRAID (the product) can be used on a boot drive now. I
actually just bought the latest copy after using it all the time
under OS9. The OS X built in software RAID has severe limitations in
rebuilding boot drives. I recently had a mirrored boot drive fail on
an XServe. I got a new drive, popped it in and went to rebuild the
mirror. That's when I found out the Apple's software RAID won't
rebuild a mirrored drive for a boot volume, you need to boot off of
something else. I also found out that you really need to use the
command line to try to rebuild drives if you want to really know
what's going on and get feedback on errors. Not a big deal, but
something to know. I found it very annoying that I had to schedule
downtime to rebuild the mirror.

SoftRAID, on the other hand, can rebuild mirrored boot drives and it
will report errors it notices during normal operation. It's a bit
more robust than Apple's built-in software RAID.